The first is belief. The rest are works or actions designed to make one’s life acceptable to God, or Allah as called in Arabic.
- 1. There is no god except Allah; Muhammad is the messenger of Allah
- 2. Prayer is to be offered five times a day.
- 1. between dawn and sunrise
- 2. between midday and mid-afternoon
- 3. between mid-afternoon and sunset
- 4. after sunset
- 5. between nightfall and dawn
- 3. Donations to the poor and needy.
- 4. Fasting during the month of Ramadan
- 5. Pilgrimage to “The House of Allah” or the house of God found in Makkah, Saudi Arabia at least once during a lifetime.
From a western non-believers perspective, this can be aligned with Christian beliefs in the following manner.
- 1. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.
- 2. Call upon God daily, multiple times daily in prayer.
- 3. It is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle. Caring and giving to the poor is a core tenet of Christianity.
- 4. Fasting and prayer with the associated almsgiving is a traditional way of denying one’s most basic personal needs in favor of a greater cause.
- 5. Journey up to the house of the Lord and offer up your soul in the community of faith.